Notable electroacoustic group NIYAZ in collaboration with interactive designer/visual artist Jerome Delapierre present THE FOURTH LIGHT PROJECT… a cutting-edge, immersive, multi-sensory show unlike any other. This groundbreaking multi-media experience, combines live musical and dance performance with interactive technologies and advanced projection/ body-mapping techniques that respond to sound and movement in real time. The end result creates a new kind of Digital Scenography and live musical experience, one in which virtual and real space merge to create an illusionistic three-dimensional environment that eliminates the distance between the audience and performers. This seamless synthesis of sound, space,
Niyaz – The Fourth Light Project
AN IMMERSIVE MULTI-SENSORY EXPERIENCE
Notable electroacoustic group NIYAZ in collaboration with interactive designer/visual artist Jerome Delapierre present THE FOURTH LIGHT PROJECT… a cutting-edge, immersive, multi-sensory show unlike any other. This groundbreaking multi-media experience, combines live musical and dance performance with interactive technologies and advanced projection/ body-mapping techniques that respond to sound and movement in real time. The end result creates a new kind of Digital Scenography and live musical experience, one in which virtual and real space merge to create an illusionistic three-dimensional environment that eliminates the distance between the audience and performers. This seamless synthesis of sound, space, image and light, actually invites the audience inside the art to share in a unique narrative and multi-sensory experience.
Since its debut at Cinars in Montreal, Canada in the fall of 2016, THE FOURTH LIGHT PROJECT has been presented in some of the most prestigious Performing Arts Centers throughout America such as, the legendary Strathmore (Washington D.C.) Michael Schimmel Center (New York City), Hancher Center (Univ. of Iowa), and Walton Arts Center (Univ. of Arkansas). The show was also a featured event at the Asia Expo in Astana, Kazakhstan in 2017 as well as the stunning cathedral Les Dominicains de Haute- Alsace, in Guebwiller, France in Jan, 2018.
For more than a decade Niyaz has stood at the forefront of the global music tradition by seamlessly blending ancient Sufi poetry and folk songs from the Middle East to India, with rich acoustic instrumentation and state-of-the-art modern electronics. Today with four best selling and critically acclaimed albums released on Six Degrees Records, all of which have debuted at #1 on iTunes and garnered the band an incredible amount of media attention including features on NPR, PRI, BBC World, Billboard magazine, Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post, Niyaz continues to tour internationally and build on its impressive and loyal fan base worldwide. Their music as well as solo performances have been featured in several major Hollywood film and television scores, which include, “The Matrix,” “Prince of Persia,” “Thor- The Dark World,” Body of Lies,” “True Blood,” ”Nip Tuck,” Bones,” “Alias,” “Prison
Break,” “Tyrant,” and “Crossing Over.” Niyaz reaches an impressive and loyal fan base worldwide.
Promo Reel, "The Fourth Light Project" (2019)
Live performance, "Gecti Dost Kervani" in Montreal (2018)
Live performance, "Tam e Eshq (Taste of Love)" in Montreal (2018)
Live performance, "Song of Exile" in Montreal (2018)
Artist feature, Concert & Residency from Moraine Valley Community College (2017)
Live performance, "Shir Ali Mardan (Song of a Warrior)" in Montreal (2016)
Music video, "Tam e Eshq (The Taste of Love)"
AN IMMERSIVE MULTI-MEDIA EXPERIENCE
Scenographic lighting & projection package with electric/acoustic quintet Niyaz featuring Azam Ali (vocals, oud, kamaan, kanun, keyboards, programming, percussion) and classically trained whirling dervish Tanya Evanson.
> An Evening w/
> Festival Headliner
> Outreach activities available, read more.
Seminars and Workshops
- Feminism in the East: In this workshop Azam Ali and Niyaz will discuss gender inequality, the growing feminist movement in the East and how that relates to the global feminist movement. Since the role of women in society is mostly depicted through the lens of Western norms, women in the East are perceived as weak and oppressed victims. Therefore, this workshop is aimed at exploring the gulf between the Western and Eastern definition of female liberation when examined within the proper context of history, geography and cultural traditions. It will shine a light on some of the iconic women of the East in both history and today’s world, who have made huge strides in helping reshape the role of women in a modern Eastern society by challenging the patriarchal interpretation of religion that fosters gender inequality.
- Cultural Appropriation and Assimilation in the New Global Context: Having an understanding of Cultural Appropriation, Assimilation and Appreciation will help us to contextualize the way we interact with other cultures. Tourism, business practices, food, fashion, festivals, concerts, consumption on social media, have far reaching consequences on global communities due to America’s cultural and economic dominance in the world.
- Sufism & Music: This workshop will cover the basics of Sufi philosophy and mysticism. Since poetry and music are a big part of Sufi practice, the workshop will cover the poetry of some of the greatest Sufi poets such as Rumi and Attar. The musical and ecstatic aspect of Sufism is called “Sema” and this will be the main emphasis of the workshop. The workshop will also include a Whirling Dervish (Sufi dancer) who will discuss the practice and aim of whirling.
- Art & Technology: This workshop explores the impact of technology on art during a time when the digital world is having an ever growing impact on our day to day lives. The workshop will focus primarily on how artists have always been and continue to explore the possibilities of utilizing technology to enhance their art in order to influence the perception of art by audiences. From building better theaters, to the age of amplification, to better lighting techniques, to the now digital age, technology has always played an
important role in the expression and experience of the arts.
- Persian & Turkish Music Theory: This workshop will focus on Persian and Turkish music theory and rhythms. A musical composition can be taught as well for those who play any musical instrument and would like to learn how to apply these motifs on their own instruments. All levels would be welcome from the beginners to the advanced. For advanced musicians a more complex workshop can be set up which will also include a more advanced composition.
- Sample Residency Outline (by Hancher Performances at University of Iowa, 2017)
- “Niyaz’s Fourth Light Project and Music in Sufism” (by C.A. Norling, University of Iowa Research Assistant)
Please contact your SRO Artist Representative if you are interested in any of these workshop options offered by Niyaz.
…additional publicity images of Niyaz featuring Azam Ali, go here.
…for audio downloads of Niyaz featuring Azam Ali, go here.
(415)626-6334 Ext: 112
PublicityREK Room Media